Total Pageviews


Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Galatians 5:22-23

We have been talking with Cohen a lot about his heart. What good is it to have a child who obeys when he does not have a heart for God? When he doesn't understand that his behavior is much more than doing what mommy and daddy say? This has been the topic of discussion at our house a lot lately. We have been talking about the fruit of the Spirit A LOT! Fruit (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control)

So when I stumbled across the idea to create a box with the fruits of the spirit written on the outside and each time Cohen showing fruit we write it down and put it in the box, this goes for when he is acting kind towards someone, being gentle (esp with caleb), having joy, being under control (rare) or loving someone. Then the end of the week we open the box and read them aloud :) I had to do it! I went and got a box right away! This is a great way for him (and us) to focus on the fruits on a daily basis. Not to mention I love to praise Cohen for his good deeds rather then always punishing him. Cohen will get to see how proud we are of him. (He already has two in his box!!!)

He was so proud to place the papers in the box and I love that it is an intrinsic reward rather than a little toy from the dollar spot at Target that he plays with for a day (although there is a time and place for those too;) LOL.



Galatians 5:22-23

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.




My dear friend Kristin made a post regarding a marble jar (it also deals with discipline), I love this idea as well :) It's on her blog so go check it out! I love reading new ways to try to reward our children (when deserved of course).

1 comment:

BollingWith5 said...

Hey! This is such a great idea too. I will steal it eventually, but I have to do one thing at a time. Their attention space is but minutes. I've been contemplating whether or not to make my blog public. After seeing your post referencing my blog, I realized that it does no good to post great things if those who read it cannot share it with others. So.... I'm still considering it and your post makes me consider it even more. Although I will admit, I am NOT crazy about it. There is something liberating about knowing you can protect your family.